What exactly is self care? Visit my previous blog here to find out!
If you're already on board and looking for some strategies to start today - read on!
Daily self-care is important for everyone & will look different depending how much time you have and what you enjoy. Identify your own needs & take steps to meet them
I've got 5 minutes.. !
- make a cup of tea
- listen to your favourite song
- sit in the sunshine
- close your eyes & take some deep breaths
- reflect on something you're grateful for
- snuggle with a pet or loved one
I've got 30 minutes
- take a bubble bath
- call a friend or family member (that inspires you, energizes you or makes you laugh)
- buy yourself a plant or some flowers
- cross something off your to do list (catch: you have to do it!)
- go for a walk
- paint your nails or do a face mask
I've got an hour
- unplug for an hour (no screens!)
- go to a yoga class or the gym
- go for lunch with a friend whose company you enjoy!
- get things done so you can get to bed an hour earlier
- make a meal you love, sit down & enjoy it
- read a book
- go cloud watching
- go for a massage
I've got a day.. or more - let's do this!
- plan a day outside: go paddle boarding, surfing, hiking, snowboarding, exploring
- PLAY! Our bodies were made to move! Try rock climbing, a dance class, a new sport
- explore your creative side: try a painting night or a pottery class
- learn something new - take a photography class or learn a new language
- plant a garden
- prep food for the week (self care for future you)
- be selfish: take a day to everything you can that makes you happy
- be selfless: volunteer, help someone. This can be big or small - from a volunteer trip to shoveling a neighbours driveway)
- plan a getaway
Note: if you feel like you never have a whole day, what can you shift or say no to in order to have this time. Skip a night at the bar, say no to an event your not looking forward to - make YOU a priority.
It's worth doing..
Not all self care is fun, but remembering these will help keep you healthy & happy in the long run:
- attend your yearly checkups: doctor, dentist, etc.
- clean your space: office, bedroom, purse
- do the dishes (this doesn't sound fun but how good does it feel when your kitchen is spotless?! Just me.. ?)
- clean our your inbox
- cross the important things off your to do list first